Seven months after Microsoft’s acquisition, all is not over yet for Nokia as the once-mighty Finnish company officially unveiled today a new product signaling their return to the hardware market, a 7.9 inch Android Tablet.
It was just yesterday when Nokia first teased everyone with a photo they released of a black Nokia box which a lot of people on the internet guessed to be an HTPC as it resembles a black version of the Apple TV. But Nokia took everyone by surprise when they unveiled today that the new device is actually a tablet, dubbed as the Nokia N1 running on the latest Android Lollipop 5.
With the device’s announcement, it is sure that Nokia is aiming to compete against the Apple iPad Mini 3, as both devices sport a 7.9 inch display. The funny thing is at first glance, the Nokia N1 looks exactly like the Apple iPad Mini 3, minus the home button on the front and the Apple logo at the back. But the main difference is the weight and thickness of both devices, as the Nokia N1 weighs just a mere 318 grams housed in a 6.9 mm body compared to the iPad Mini 3’s weight of 331 grams and 7.5 mm thickness.
And the Apple iPad Mini 3 resemblance does not stop there, as the top and side button placements for the screen lock, and volume rocker keys are on-point, as well as the camera module on the back and the speakers and connector on the bottom part of the N1. Speaking about the connector, the Nokia N1 comes with a lightning port-ish reversible type-C USB connector, a first for any device as of today.
Under the hood is where you’ll find the 64-bit 2.3GHz Intel Atom Z3580 quad core processor with 2 GB of RAM, PowerVR G6430 GPU, a non-expandable 32 GB of internal memory, 8 megapixel back and 5 megapixel front cameras and battery life that Nokia claims to last up to 9 hours of usage on a single charge powered by Android’s latest firmware, OS v5 Lollipop with Nokia’s very own Z Launcher.
As much as die-hard Nokia fans are expected to be thrilled on getting their hands on the N1 tablet, sadly, the release is said to be slated just in time for the Chinese New Year, falling on the 19th of February next year priced, competitively at just $249 before taxes (~Php 10,700)
Is this enough to bring back Nokia’s good-old glory? We hope so.
Nokia N1 official specs:
- Android 5.0 Lollipop with Nokia Z Launcher
- 64-bit 2.3 GHz Quad Core Intel Atom Z3580 processor
- PowerVR G6430 GPU
- 7.9-inch ( 2048 x 1536 pixels ) QXGA IPS LCD at 324 ppi
- Gorilla Glass 3 and fully laminated zero air gap display
- 2 GB of RAM
- 32 GB (non-expandable) ROM
- 8 megapixel back facing AF camera, 1080p video recording @ 30fps
- 5 megapixel fixed focus front facing camera
- dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with MIMO, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth 4.0, Infrared port
- 3.5 mm audio jack, Type-C reversible microUSB v2.0 connector
- 18.5 Wh (5300 mAh) li-po battery
- Natural Aluminum or Lava Gray color options
- 200.7 x 138.6 x 6.9 mm, 318 grams
- $249 before taxes
To know more about the Nokia N1, click here. Finally, watch the device’s reveal video below.