If you’ve read about Matt Cutts’ explanation on how Google search engine work, you will come to think of doing SEO on your blog.
I’ll be listing here some of the basic strategies that you may also use to drive organic traffic to your blog. Some of these are also applicable to other blogging platform, but this will better work on Blogger or Blogspot.
1. Domain Name – if you start using blogspot sub-domain or already using a custom domain, it’s important to choose a domain name (DN) that is related to your blogging niche. When I started this blog, I don’t have any idea that DN plays a great role in SEO. Experts said that DN related to targeted keywords of a blog or the niche as a whole is important as search engines consider it when ranking different blogs of the same niche to be displayed on the SERPs.
2. Blog Name – like the Domain Name, you also need to focus on your blog name. Create a blog name that is related to your blog, so that your contents will have a higher percentage of relevancies. Search engines especially Google always look at the name of the blog in ranking search results.
3. Post Title – if you are targeting organic traffic, try to formulate a post title that contains your targeted keywords. But don’t try to manipulate the SE’s or else you will just end up ranked on the last page of the SERPs. Making Blogger post title unique on every post really helps.
4. Meta Tags – as what I mentioned on my previous post, Meta tags are never obsolete. It’s a very important on-site SEO technique that provides information to search engines what your blog is all about.
5. Post URL – this refer to the permanent links of your individual post. In Blogger, the permanent links are created based on the keywords from post title. This is odd though, as it includes unnecessary keywords that suppose to be excluded. Unlike WordPress, you can’t customize the perma links in Blogger. The best thing to do here is to include only relevant keywords in title then hit publish to create SE-friendly post URL. Then revise the title if necessary.
6. Alt Attribute on Images – when you include images on your post, always make use of the Alt attribute. It’s the attribute that tells search engines about the image. Ideally, SE’s can’t read images- thus using this attribute will help you drive traffic especially from image searches.
7. Keyword Density on Articles – this is very important when writing articles. This refers to the amount of keywords (KW) within the blog post. Only use targeted KW within the content when necessary and don’t try to stuff the content. Experts said that 5-20% keyword density works better, but I suggest you just write normally. Just repeat targeted keywords when necessary.
8. Original Contents – they said content is the King. But I beg to disagree! Instead, original content is the King… Avoid copying contents or else your blog will be penalized by SE’s.
9. Link Attributes – this refers to the do-follow and no-follow links. To make your blog search engine-friendly, just be careful on linking to external sites. The logic here is that, if you do-follow an external link that has just been penalized by SE- you are also putting your blog’s reputation at risk. I personally use no-follow links when I’m not sure if the external link would be trusted.
So far, these are the list of basic SEO for Blogger or Blogspot that will help your site receive more organic traffic. If you have something to add, let’s just discuss it below. Or if you have something to clarify, let’s talk about it as well.