If you are using the latest version of Firefox which is v3.6, you might also be using Personas to dress your browser skin.
You might have also installed additional plugins for a better internet experience, especially if you are using Windows 7- in which you really need to maximize its features.
But if you are going to check the performance of your PC, you’ll see that Firefox is consuming the biggest share of the system RAM. And the worse thing is, you have a slow browsing experience even if you are using broadband internet. I have something to share with you which I just tried today. These are actually Firefox hacks to increase your internet browsing speed. So here we go…
Reduce RAM consumption from Firefox cache feature:
1. Type “about:config” in the address bar in the browser.
2. Find “browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers”
3. Set it’s value to “0”
Increase Firefox speed in loading pages:
1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit Enter.
2. Set the entries as follows:
Toggle “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
Toogle “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
Modify “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” just to 10.
This means it will make 10 requests at a particular time interval.
3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New, then Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0”
This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages faster now.
You can also use other options for your about:config
“network.dns.disableIPv6”: set “false”
“content.notify.backoffcount”: set “5”
“ui.submenuDelay”: set “0”
Reduce RAM consumption when Firefox is minimized:
1. Open Firefox and go to the Address Bar. Type in about:config and then press Enter.
2. Right Click in the page and select New, then Boolean.
3. In the box that pops up enter “config.trim_on_minimize”, then Press Enter.
4. Now select True and then press Enter.
5. Restart Firefox.
Founding-Editor of Cebu Tech Blogger where he shares insights in eCommerce, Digital Marketing, Ad Ops, Tech, Startups, Technopreneurship, Life Goals and Hacks.
He’s the brainchild and ninja of a Cebu-based digital agency, TekWorx.Digital, with ventures TekWorx, (eCommerce and Digital Marketing), AdWorx (Outsourced Ad Ops for Publishers) and BlogWorx (full-fledged Blog Development service). Read his Full Curriculum Vitae.