In Facebook chat, it’s very easy to hide or appear offline to Facebook friends. This feature in Facebook chat is very useful especially if you don’t want to be disturbed or get distracted.
The only problem with this is once you go offline, all of your friends will see you offline too. How about if you just want to appear offline to specific or selected Facebook friends, but still appear online to the rest of your friends? Let’s say, you want to appear offline to your superior at work who keep on stalking your Facebook activities? 🙂 Well, you can actually hide from them and let them think you are really offline in Facebook. Silly example, isn’t it? Not really. Perhaps you only missed that trick.
No worries though, as I have here a guide on how you can hide or appear offline to selected friends directly in Facebook chat. Just follow the steps below.
1. Assuming that you are already online, open the chat window. Now, you will see the list of your friends who are online. At the top of the chat window, you will see the Options tab, as well as Friends Lists tab. See the screenshot below.
2. Click on the Friends Lists tab. If this is the first time you do this, you won’t see any lists of your friends displayed. But you can create one.
3. Type your preferred list name on the small rectangular box, let’s say: Friends to Appear Offline, and then hit Enter. The list you created will now appear on the chat window.
|New List Created|
4. Add or select your friends you want to appear offline to by dragging and dropping on the box that says “Drag a friend here to add”.
|Friends added to the New list|
5. Now, you can select to appear offline to your created list; but still online to the rest of your friends. To do that, just click “Go Offline” button. It’s the small round button as shown in the screenshot below.
Now you will appear offline to the selected friends on the new list, but still appear online to the rest of your friends.
Here is a video walk-through of this trick: