The latest version, Redsn0w 0.9.9b1, automatically fetches “pieces” of public IPSWs from Apple servers and then caches those “pieces” for future use. What this means for jailbreakers, particularly those who are using the Redsn0w tool, you won’t have to download anymore those bulky firmware files before you can jailbreak iDevices. You should note however, that the latest version of Redsn0w can only fetch those public firmware files or those which are already out from Beta, else you have to provide it manually. As a jailbreaker, this is certainly the most essential update to Redsn0w as far as time and bandwidth is concerned. I guess we should have to thank the Dev Team, right? And as I’ve said earlier, it comes with new features and in any case you’re interested to learn more, see quoted list below:
• uses DFU mode to try to automatically determine which device and FW you have
• fetches pieces of public IPSWs from Apple (once). Non-public IPSWs must be provided manually (once). It then caches those pieces for future use.
• “Just boot” is a tethered boot. Uses whatever “Preferences” you’ve set for boot logo and kernel boot-args
• “Pwned DFU” puts your device in a pwned DFU state for some of the iTunes stuff detailed below
• “Recovery fix” gets past 1015 types of errors (when baseband portion of restore fails). Should work on iOS5 beta too
• “Select IPSW” is for picking non-public IPSWs, or overriding auto-detection
• “SHSH blobs” has a bunch of options…
• “Fetch” – fetch current PARTIAL blobs on device. Should complete in under 10 or 15 seconds. Puts the set of PARTIAL of blobs on your computer as a plist. Checks if Cydia already has a full set for this device and build. If not, it submits this PARTIAL set and returns Cydia’s acknowledgement or rejection
• “Verify” – cryptographically verifies existing blob files from either redsn0w, TinyUmbrella, or Cydia server. You can select a whole bunch of blobs to verify at once if you want (like the TinyUmbrella directory)
• “Submit” – both verifies and submits one or more blob files to Cydia. This lets you copy your entire TinyUmbrella cache of blobs up to the Cydia server
• “Query” – queries the Cydia server for all available FULL or PARTIAL blobs for a given set of ECIDs
• “Stitch” – stitches either FULL or PARTIAL blobs to a STOCK or CUSTOM IPSW
1. Stitching is NOT yet supported on iPhones! Need to work out the baseband part of the restore process.
2. FULL blobs stitched to a STOCK IPSW gives you a completely self-contained signed IPSW that iTunes will accept without any tricks (no need to go into pwned DFU mode, no need to start TinyUmbrella TSS server, no need to redirect to Cydia server for blobs)
3. PARTIAL blobs stitched to any IPSW requires you to go into pwned DFU mode before running iTunes. No need to start TU or use Cydia though.
4. Stitching either FULL or PARTIAL blobs to a CUSTOM IPSW also requires a pwned DFU start before iTunes restores. No need to start TU or use Cydia though.
5. Will eventually support fetching the blobs directly from Cydia instead of a file on your computer
You can download Redsn0w 0.9.9b1 for Mac and Windows by following the links below (copy and paste in your web browser):
Redsn0w 0.9.9b1 for Mac download link: http://bit.ly/o2xHJG
Redsn0w 0.9.9b1 for Windows download link: http://bit.ly/o2xHJG
Update: How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.5 and iOS 5 using Redsn0w 0.9.9b1