I’m personally not surprised. The Philippines was once named as the “Social Networking Capital of the World”, and the country being a “Nokia nation” – that would explain why social networking and messenger apps topped the list of popular applications downloaded from the Nokia Store in 2011. In addition to that, not only for a reason that most of these types of apps are free; but because Filipinos can leverage the services built to such apps and are perfect solutions to stay connected through the internet with the people they care most.
Below is a complete list of the most downloaded free apps from Nokia Store in the Philippines:
1. Facebook Chat – For those who just can’t get enough of Facebook, Facebook Chat feeds your hunger for social networking by allowing you to catch up with your friends easily even on the go.
2. Chat for Facebook Pro – This is the only application for chat on Facebook for mobile phones that allows you to connect with your contacts no matter which carrier you are using. Chat for Facebook Pro also shows all your friends’ profile pictures and sound notifications, and is even faster than when you chat on PC.
3. Skype – Skype lets Nokia users keep in touch with the people in their lives by offering free Skype to Skype calls (voice and video) over Wi-Fi as well as messenger style chat and low costs international calls.
4. Adventure of Ted – This game app lets you jump, run, and kick your enemies out of your way. Save Ted from enemies and help him to get to his home in this cute game.
5. eBuddy Mobile Messenger – With over 100 million downloads to date, this is hands down the most popular free chat app today. It lets you chat on MSN, Facebook, Yahoo!, GTalk, AIM, MySpace and ICQ, and allows you to send pictures, set your display picture from your phone camera, choose colorful themes, and much more!
6. Snaptu – This app helps you make the most of your device by keeping everything you need in one place. It includes mobile essentials such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, News, Weather, Sports, Movies, Sodoku and more.
7. Dictionary & Translation Pro – This offers easy one-touch access to an extensive online English dictionary, thesaurus, and translation service supporting a wide set of languages including Hindi, Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Italian, and many more.
8. High Speed 3D Free – This top downloaded app allows you to take to the streets in High Speed 3D, racing on 20 tracks in 9 different cars. Enjoy the insane drifts and nitrous boosts of this action-packed racing game!
9. Hangman – Discover new words, develop your vocabulary, and have lots fun with this game app.
10. Bubble Popper XXL – This free game allows you to compete with your Facebook friends for bubble-popping supremacy.
Nokia Philippines hasn’t release the top paid game apps from publishers outside the country, however, it listed the top 5 paid game apps of 2011 from Philippine-based developers as follows:
1. The Tallest Ice Cream – The object of this fun and addicting game is to create the tallest ice cream. The taller your ice cream becomes, the faster the scoop moves.
2. Pharaoh’s Tomb – This game lets you embark on a quest through a magical maze, collect as many score points as you can and find the exit – all while avoiding the traps and pitfalls along the way.
3. Tong-its Extreme – The improved version of the highly rated “World Tong-its Tour” game, it allows you to take on multiple personalities that use different AI engines. Enjoy unlimited chips to beat the AIs, and battle your way to the top of the World Tong-its Chip Leaders server screen.
4. Pinball ME – This arcade game features nice graphics, real pinball sounds and addictive gameplay.
5. Nice Fruits – A casual game where you must collect three or more of a kind of fruit. It features nice music and sound effects, stunning graphics and high replay value.