After months of talks and speculations, Microsoft has finally launched Windows 10 in the Philippines, with local launching here in Cebu earlier this month. The new OS from Microsoft is perfect for individual user or organizations of all sizes, and if you haven’t got a chance using it, read through the details below.
Microsoft introduces Windows 10 as a free upgrade for eligible Windows 7 and 8.1 devices, including new PCs and tablets. Dubbed as the most advanced and secured Windows ever, Windows 10 is also now an ‘operating system as a service’, well, that’s because of a handful of features and services which come with it – all of which would receive ongoing updates and should be kept up-to-date with critical security patches. All of these are built based on the feedback from the millions of IT professionals around the globe, making it the most extensively tested version of Windows ever.
The new OS is fast and very much familiar for some with the return of the Start Menu and Live Tiles for instant streaming updates of what really matters most for users. The user interface was revised to handle transitions between mouse-oriented interfaces and touch screen-optimized interface based on available input devices. The new OS also offers additional security features, with enhancements to Windows Defender and SmartScreen to help safeguard against viruses, malware and phishing. There’s also the new feature called Windows Hello, which offers a fast, secured, password-free way to login.
Among the highlights for Windows 10 is the built-in enterprise-grade security, which is designed to protect enterprise against modern cyber threats. The new OS incorporates multifactor authentication technology based upon standards developed by the FIDO Alliance. This gives customers a way to replace passwords with more secure options, protect corporate data and corporate identities, and run the only software they trust. Additionally, Windows 10 also includes new management and deployment tools which simplify device management, help lower costs, and enable companies to power their business with the enterprise strength of the Microsoft Azure cloud.
Another key highlight for Windows 10 is the new default web browser, Microsoft Edge. This browser features a new standards-compliant rendering engine, and offers integration with other Microsoft platforms present within Windows 10 platform. Windows 10 also introduces a new intelligent personal assistant, Cortana. First introduced with Windows 8.1 in 2014, Cortana replaced Windows’ embedded search feature, supporting both text and voice inputs.
In addition to those built-in security features, Windows 10 is also getting more personal and focused on productivity — with voice, pen and gesture inputs for natural interaction with PCs. Together with the latest Office apps, Windows 10 will enable companies to work collaboratively anywhere, with the same familiar experience across PCs, tablets, and mobile devices. Windows 10 offers many innovative experiences and devices. These include:
- Modern mobility: With familiar and latest Office 365 apps now available on Windows 10 mobile, users can get work done anywhere, anytime on their preferred device.
- Modern collaboration: Enterprises can get access to enterprise-grade online tools that enable sharing all documents and co-author in real-time. Office Delve, now available to all Office 365 for business users, proactively highlights key information that is relevant to users based on tasks and colleagues they work with closely. Office 2016 now also features Co-authoring which enables users to collaborate through real-time typing that allows seeing others’ edits as they happen.
- Modern meetings: Skype for Business, a communications and collaboration platform brings together an experience inspired by Skype with enterprise-grade security, compliance and control. It offers features including presence, IM, voice and video calls, and online meetings. In addition, the new Office features Skype in-app integration across the rich client apps allows IM, screen share, talk or video chat right in the docs.
- Security and controls: Microsoft’s commitment in building a trusted cloud ensures that company data is protected. In addition, Office 2016 users will receive new features for better enterprise security and protection, including Built-in Data Loss Protection, Multifactor authentication and Enterprise Data Protection.
- Office Mobile apps for Windows 10 tablets will offer a consistent, touch-first experience across a range of devices. The full feature OneNote app also comes pre-installed with Windows 10. Together with the latest Office desktop apps, Windows 10 offers the richest feature set for professional content creation. Designed for the precision of a keyboard and mouse, these apps will be optimized for large screen PCs, laptops, and 2-in-1 devices like the Surface Pro.
- Continuum optimizes apps and experiences beautifully across devices in both touch and desktop modes.
- Built-in apps including Photos; Maps; Microsoft’s new music app, Groove; and Movies and TV offer entertainment and productivity options. With OneDrive, files can be easily shared and kept up-to-date across all devices.
Mae Moreno, Windows Lead for Microsoft Philippines, said in a statement: “Windows 10 is designed to empower people to achieve great things and to deliver a more human way of doing. Furthermore, it builds on our vision of offering our consumers a more personal and natural computing experience that offers unmatched mobility and a tailored experience across devices”. She added that, “We believe that the new Windows can truly help our customers be productive in both their digital work and their digital life and this represents our first step towards a whole new generation of Windows.”
Founding-Editor of Cebu Tech Blogger where he shares insights in Digital Marketing, Ad Ops, Tech, Startups, Technopreneurship, Life Goals and Hacks.
He’s the brainchild and ninja of a Cebu-based Digital Marketing agency, TekWorx — with ventures AdWorx, an Outsourced Ad Ops agency, and BlogWorx, a full-fledged Blog Development service. Read his Full Curriculum Vitae.