There’s a rumor in the web that there will be a new version of Windows 7 for Netbooks (small notebook PC) that will have most functionality compared to the Windows 7 Starter.
An article from TGDaily revealed that, if their source is correct, there will be seven versions of Windows 7 and lots of the hardware community will breathe a sigh of relief. Early this year, we learned that Microsoft might cut down the functionality of Windows 7 for netbooks. However, this “source” is giving some hints that Netbook users will not be compromised with the new operating system.
Let’s recall that most netbook users were not satisfied with the pre-installed Windows 7 Starter as some of the features from higher versions of Windows 7 (like Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate) have been leeched out. The features not included in Windows 7 Starter were:
* Aero Glass (meaning you can only use the “Windows Basic” or other opaque themes, and you can’t get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek)
* Personalization features (changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, and sound schemes)
* Switching users without having to log off.
* Multi-monitor support.
* DVD playback.
* Windows Media Center
* Remote Media Streaming
* Domain support for business customers.
* XP Mode or the ability to run older Windows XP programs within Windows 7.
Are you a Netbook user? Well, let’s just see if this “unverified report” is true over the course of this coming week.